The deadline for Soundoff! community “News and Notes” is Friday at noon. All submissions are posted at the editor’s discretion and may be edited for space and grammar. A more complete listing of community events is available on the Fort Meade Web site at www.ftmeade.army.mil and via the Meade TV Blog at https://meadetv.wordpress.com. For more information or to submit an announcement, e-mail email@example.com or call 301-677-6806.
NEWS & EVENTS
AFAP delegates needed
The upcoming Military District of Washington Army Family Action Plan Conference will be held June 10 and 11 at Fort McNair in Washington, D.C. Delegates with prior AFAP experience are needed to represent the Fort Meade community. The AFAP mission is to help Army leaders address the needs and concerns of the total Army family. All members of the Fort Meade community with prior AFAP experience are invited to participate. Lunch and transportation to and from Fort McNair will be provided. For more information, call 301-677-5590.
The USO on Fort Meade is seeking volunteers to help assemble tricycles. For more information, call Charlynn Sunderland at 410-305-0660 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health care forum slated
The Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center commander will host his quarterly Health Care Community Forum on June 18 at 3:30 p.m. in the Event Center. The forum is open to everyone. Participants will learn what is new at Kimbrough and have an opportunity to express their concerns. For more information, call 301-677-8836.
Army Strong experience
As part of the Army Strong experience, members of the U.S. Army Parachute Team Golden Knights will be landing near Burba Lake June 1 to 4. The community is invited to watch. For more information, visit www.ftmeade.army.mil.
Right Arm Night
Celebrate the Year of the NCO at Right Arm Night on June 5 from 4 to 7 p.m. at Club Meade. The event is open to all ranks and services, military and civilian. For more information, call 301-677-6969.
Pet Expo and Fly Ball Tournament
The Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation is sponsoring a Pet Expo and Fly Ball Tournament on May 30 and 31 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Fort Meade Pavilion. The event will feature dog training and grooming demonstrations, fly ball races, a pet fashion show, adoption corner and more. For more information, call 301-677-3912.
RV and Boat Show
Come out to the RV and Boat Show on June 6 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Fort Meade Pavilion. This free event features new and used recreational vehicles and boats for sale, vendors and more. Military ID cardholders may bring their pre-owned RVs and boats to the “resell” corner. For more information, call 301-677-3912.
Teen Forum scheduled
A Teen Forum will be held June 4 at 5 p.m. at the Teen Center. For more information, call 301-677-2183.
Register for Vacation Bible School
The Crocodile Dock Vacation Bible School is coming to the Main Post Chapel and Argonne Hills Chapel Center from June 22 to 26. The camp is free, ecumenical and geared for children ages 4 through fifth grade. Volunteers are still needed. Watch care is provided. For more information, call 301-677-0368.
Resume writing workshop
The Asian Pacific American Heritage Committee will host a resume writing workshop on June 3 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at McGill Training Center. The theme is “Lighting the Past, Present and Future.” The workshop is open to the public. Participants may bring a lunch or purchase one in advance. For more information, call 301-677-6672.
Collateral Duty training offered
The Collateral Duty Safety Program will offer representative training on June 17 and 18 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at McGill Training Center, Bldg. 8542, Classroom 1. For more information or to register, call 301-677-4227.
Free classes offered
The Navy Fleet and Family Support Center, 830 Chisholm Ave., offers the following free classes:
– Resume Writing, June 2, 9 a.m. to noon € Stress Management, June 3, 9 to 11 a.m.
– Federal Employment, June 9, 9 a.m. to noon € Home Buying, June 11, 1 to 3 p.m.
– Common Sense Parenting, June 12, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
For more information, call 301-677-9017.
Deep sea fishing trip offered
ITR is hosting a deep sea fishing trip on June 13. Cost is $85 per person and includes transportation, bait and tackle. For more information, call ITR at 301-677-7354.
Canoe Trip scheduled
ITR is offering a Canoe Trip down the historic James River in Virginia June 4 to 7. For more information, call 301-677-6447.
Out & About
- Carefree RV resorts is offering a 50 percent discount to active and retired military and their families at 35 parks nationwide. For more information, visit www.carefreervresorts.com.
- The Maryland City Volunteer Fire Department, 3498 Fort Meade Road in Laurel, will host Basket Bingo on June 6. Doors and kitchen open at 5 p.m.; play starts at 7 p.m. For more information or reservations, call 301-483-4985 or email@example.com. Civil War Era Weapons Demonstration, June 7, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Fort Washington Park, 13551 Fort Washington Road. Volunteers in Civil War-era uniforms will demonstrate and explain procedures used during the muzzle-loading era of American arms. Admission is $5 per vehicle. For more information, call 301-763-4600.
- The National Association of Retired Federal Employees meets June 9 at noon at Holy Trinity Church hall, 7438 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd. in Glen Burnie. There are no meetings in July or August. The next meeting will be Sept. 8. For more information, call Diane Shreves at 410-760-3750.
- The Fort Meade Rod and Gun Club meets the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. in Bldg. T-4, adjacent to the Family Pet Care Center on Range Road. The next meeting is June 4. For information about club membership, visit www.fmrgc.20m.com.
- Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers meets the first Tuesday of each month at 1 p.m. in McGill Training Center, Room 3. The next meeting is June 2. B.O.S.S. is a Department of the Army program for single Soldiers to enhance their well-being, contribute to the community through community service activities and assist in the planning and execution of their own recreation and leisure events. For more information, stop by the office at 4215 Roberts Road or call 301-677-4838.
- The Fort Meade E9 Association meets the second Friday of each month at 7 a.m. at The Lanes Fort Meade. The next meeting is June 12. The association is open to active, retired, Reserve and National Guard E9s of all service branches. For more information, call 410-551-7953 or visit www.e9association.org.
- Parenting in the Midst of Deployment support group meets Mondays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Meuse Forest Community Center, 8700 91st Division Blvd. Free child care is available. For more information, call 301-677-3617.
- Babease Boot Camp meets the third Friday of each month from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Army Community Service, 830 Chisholm Ave. The next meeting is June 18. The seminar covers infant care, diet and nutrition, ages and stages of development and more. For more information, call 301-677-5590.
Summer baseball camps offered
Meade High School athletics offers baseball camps July 6 to 10 and 13 to 17 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Severn Athletic Club in Severn. Directors include Dave Lanham, MHS athletic director; Tony Saunders, a former Major League Baseball pitcher; Greg Beckman, assistant coach at the University of Maryland Baltimore County; and Darrell Evans, MHS pitching coach. The camps are for ages 7 to 14. Cost is $200 for one camp or $350 for both. For more information, contact Dave Lanham at 443-336-2424 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Intramural golf coaches’ meeting
An intramural golf coaches’ meeting will be held June 3 at 1:30 p.m. at The Courses Fort Meade. All units or teams should send a representative.
Meade Army 10-Miler
The Fort Meade Army 10-Miler team prequalification run will be June 6 at 7:30 a.m. beginning at Murphy Field House, 8451 Zimborski Ave. This event is for active-duty service members only. The men’s and women’s teams will consist of six runners and two alternates. The chosen teams will compete for Fort Meade at the annual Army 10-Miler on Oct. 4. Registration begins at 6:45 a.m. at Murphy Field House. Bring your military identification.
Hooah 5/10k run scheduled
The Fort Meade 2009 Runners Series continues June 13 with the “Hooah” 5K and 10K runs. Registration begins at 7 a.m. This event is the second in the series and is open to the public. Cost is $10 per individual and $15 per family. For more information, call 301-677-2634.
Fort Meade Open
Come out for the Fort Meade Open Invitational Golf Tournament on June 6 and 7 at The Courses. The competition will feature 36 holes of medal play in flights, prizes, refreshments and an awards ceremony. Sign up in the Pro Shop by close of business on June 3.
Zumba coming soon
Free Zumba classes will be offered Tuesdays at 11 a.m. beginning June 16 at Murphy Field House. The Latin-inspired, dance-fitness class incorporates international music and dance movements, which create a dynamic and effective fitness system.
Register for fall Youth Sports
Registration is under way for Child, Youth & School Services fall sports, including soccer, cheerleading, football, flag football and swimming. Each participant must have a current physical on file, which must remain valid through the season. Register at Central Registration, 1900 Reece Road. Walk-in registration hours are Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Appointments are available from 1:30 to 4 p.m. For more information or an appointment, call 301-677-1105, 1149 or 1156.
For more Fort Meade sports, visit www.quickscores.com/ftmeadesports.