April 5, 2011:
It wasn’t the prettiest title game, but the UCONN Huskies are the new NCAA Basketball Championships. It’s time now to announce the winner of the Meade TV/Picerne Sweet 16 Challenge and a $100 gift card. As I said, the championship game wasn’t the prettiest, but it capped an outrageous tournament, full of upsets. All those upsets pretty much destroyed 99% of the brackets, not just in our contest, but everywhere. In fact our winner, didn’t have one single team correct in the Final Four. But as the Huskies found out last night, it’s not important how you look in winning, just the final score. This year’s Meade TV NCAA challenge winner with a bracket just a little less ugly than yours, Brent H. from APAC. Congratulations Brent! One final side note, Brent’s entry is actually the first one we received.
March 28, 2011:
Well, we’re down to the Final Four, UCONN, Kentucky, VCU, and Butler; two name programs and two cinderallas crashing the same ball. Good news and bad news, 98 percent of this year’s brackets went up in flames after the first weekend. And after a second round full of upsets, that percentage went down further. Currently we do have a leader in the Meade TV/Picerne Sweet 16 Challenge. He is Brent H. who sits at 38 points. Unfortunately for Brent, there are two other entries out there that can spoil his chance at the$100 gift certificate. Check back to find out the winner next week!
March 15, 2011: A couple of notes
– Of course check out the Sweet 16 picks by PAO, Jibber-Jabber columnist, Chad Jones on our special edition of Meade Week.
– Secondly, a small rules change. All correct Sweet 16 picks will be awarded 3 points (instead of just one). We feel this keeps the competition more inclusive as we move towards the championship. In the meantime, check out the picks, I make no statement as to their accuracy or value. You just have to believe in the Jibber!
March 14, 2011:
Hello everyone, it’s that time of year again. Selection Sunday is behind us and the 64 team….err….68 team field takes to the courts this week. Because of the format change and to give everyone a little extra time to get their brackets in, we’ve decided to go with a Sweet 16 challenge. This year’s grand prize is being furnished courtesy of our great partners at Picerne Military Housing. Not only will you get bragging rights, but a $100 gift card courtesy of Picerne. The link for the downloadable bracket is below.
The rules are simple.
1. You must live or work on Fort Meade to participate
2. Completed brackets must be returned by Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 1200pm. E-mail completed brackets back to email@example.com
3. Scoring is as follows: Each contestant will receive (3) points for every correct Sweet 16 selection.
Once the Sweet 16 starts the scoring is as follows:
Sweet 16 – 2 pts
Round of 8 – 4 pts
Final 4 – 8
Championship – 16
****Very important, do not forget to include a final score for the championship game. This will be the tiebreaker. The first tiebreaker is whoever comes closest to the final score (total points) is the winner. If a second tiebreaker is needed, the winner will be the contestant that comes closest to the final score without going over.
****Here is the downloadable bracket: MeadeTV_Sweet_16